A friend recently asked about my opinion on can you ride a mountain bike on the road so this short guide is my response to this question.
People who love to ride a mountain bike have a lot of questions in their minds. They want to know everything about their bikes like, are mountain bikes good for roads? They must have found themselves wondering about it. They want to know whether they can ride a bike on the roads or not.
Yes, you can ride ride a mountain bike on the road but it largely depends on which type of bike you are riding. Bikes which are normally of good use on roads also are cross country bikes but if you have a trail bike, it may be touch difficult for you to ride it on the road. So, if you want a detailed answer on your question of can you ride a mountain bike on the road, read this guide in full.
Sometimes you need to go to a town square, any place nearby, or want to ride a bike, and you only have a mountain bike. So you may think that can you ride a mountain bike on the road or streets. Either a mountain bike is good for roads or not. Well, the answer is yes, you can ride a mountain bike on roads, and it doesn’t affect your bike much. But some things may affect your mountain bikes.
Mountain bikes are bikes with more suspension and shock-absorbing capacity. These bikes are specially built to tackle rough and difficult roads with a lot of hurdles and curbs. Their construction makes them ideal for those bumpy tracks. Now let’s discuss how these bikes stack up on straight roads.
Can You Ride A Mountain Bike On The Road?
You can always ride a mountain bike on the road, and there are no ifs and buts in it. Our roads are mostly imperfect. Only some of the roads are present that can achieve the level of the perfect neighbourhood. So mountain bikes are good for riding on the road with potholes and obstacles. The mountain bikes have full suspension that helps you to get a better ride.
A Mountain bike is a bike built to ride on, so it doesn’t matter which path you are riding. Ali of people ride mountain bikes on roads because they have a mountain bike and are more comfortable into ding a mountain bike.
Pros of mountain bikes on roads
- The frame of the mountain bike is specifically made to bear all the circumstances.
- The mountain bike has full suspension and gives you full control of your bike.
- It is made of plush comfort and absorbs more shocks than normal bikes.
- It has wide knobs that give you full control of irregular paths.
Cons of mountain bike on roads
- The mountain bike is way too heavier than a normal road bike or a hybrid bike.
- Its wheel has more rolling resistance hence lower your speed.
- It is slower than other bikes on roads.
- It requires more paddling strength on roads than a normal bike.
Damages your mountain bike
The damage that concrete roads and pavements can cause a mountain is termed intentional damage.
- The tires are made to roll on much bumpier trails and are designed to take abuse, but the smooth and strong roads cause wear and tear to the mountain bike’s wheels. So if you want to ride a mountain bike on roads, you should change its tires, or if you are using mountain tires, you have to replace them occasionally to keep your bike working.
For a better experience, you can make a few refinements to your mountain bike. A little change can cause a huge effect. There are four changes that you can do your mountain bike to make it fit for roads
- Suspension. Because a mountain bike is designed to absorb the shocks and impact of rocks and other obstacles and has high suspension, you can make your suspension stiff so that the bike won’t bob too much.
- Tires and wheel. Change of tires and wheels is a really good idea because the mountain tires quickly damage the roads. So change your mountain bike tires with 1.5-inch slick tires that fit your wheel perfectly.
- Gearing. Mountain bikes usually have a single chainring. So you can replace it with a larger or chainring, or you can change another crankset to make it more efficient.
- Position changing. You can lower the position of your handlebars. You can also change the position of the seat. Fix it a little higher. It will help you to get a more comfortable ride.
You can talk to a mechanic for reasonable and correct changes that you can do with your mountain bike to get an enjoyable, pleasant, and comfortable ride.
Is it bad to ride a mountain bike on the road?
No, you can always ride a mountain bike on the road. The bike is a bike. It will not damage your bike in any way. It may cause some wear and tear to tires, but this will be considered intentional damage.
Can a mountain ride be as fast as a road bike?
The main difference between a mountain bike and a road bike is the gear ratio. But this difference reduces because the mountain bikes are heavier, and it takes more effort to ride them.
Which is the more dangerous road or mountain bike?
Both are dangerous and safer in their way. If you are careful, you won’t get hurt, but if you are careless and not paying attention to the path, both can be very dangerous. The road with heavy and fast traffic is dangerous as well as downhill mountain biking. So simple trail bike riding is the safest option.
Are mountain bikes good for city riding?
If you are riding a hardtail, mountain bikes are good for city riding. They are preferable and efficient if your city has damaged roads and streets. But carefulness is the only key to be safe.
Are mountain bikes good for everyday use?
Yes, mountain bikes are comfortable, enjoyable, and pleasant for daily use. You can go to your school or work on a mountain bike. It can work perfectly as a commuter bike. It will help you avoid heavy traffic, and you don’t have to spend a lot of time waiting for public transport.
In some cases, mountain bikes work better than road bikes. And you can ride a mountain bike on the road. But be very careful on the roads. Because there is only you on the mountain bike trail, you only deal with trails’ difficulty. But on roads, you also have to deal with traffic which can become an issue!